Over the past few weeks I’ve run a gear drive here on Rogue Priest. The purpose of the drive was to raise half the cost needed to purchase high quality, reliable gear for the Great Adventure.
I’m pleased to announce that the Gear Drive was a complete success.
In the original post I set a goal of $860, and you exceeded that goal with a grand total of $870! The other half of the money needed for gear was saved by yours truly.
Over the past week, I’ve purchased the following items, thanks in part to all you wonderful donors:
- 14″ Lenovo ThinkPad notebook computer
- Hennessy Asym Classic camping hammock (this has built-in mosquito netting and a rain fly, outperforming most bivies and tents for comfort on the trail)
- Apple iPhone 4, lightly used, for a bargain price of $265—and not tied to a service plan!
- Sleeping bag rated to 25° (plenty for the places I’m going)
- Circuit backpack from ÜLA, holds 69 liters and up to 35 pounds
- Rope, carabiners, dry sack and other odds and ends
Of course there are still items to pick up—shoes and water bottles are high on the list—but the biggest items are taken care of and the rest are on the way. This week I’ll be setting up the hammock and testing it out.
None of this would have been possible without all the support that dozens of people showed throughout the gear drive, and my sincerest thanks go out to each and every one of you. And thanks also to everyone who tweets, shares, comments and follows along. You guys are an inspiration to me.
If you weren’t able to make a donation, there are plenty of ways to get involved. The best is to live the adventure yourself: travel freely, seek your legend and live for your ideals. If you can’t go yet or you already found your dream, help a traveler next time you have a chance.
The road is as cheerful as the people we meet.